Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I reckon there goes another tumbleweed.

Two thoughts on tumbleweeds. No, three.

One: "tumbleweed" is such a fun word. It demands attention and participation from your whole mouth, the first two syllables literally roll up and form from the tip of your tongue, to your lips, and reverberates to the back of your tongue just to be quickly pushed back out again. but the "weed" aspect is kind of bouncy, unlike in the context of the ganja; which comes out hard and flat.

Two: I still get weirded out when I see tumbleweeds roll across the roads (particularly 280). I sometimes forget that we are indeed in the midwest...until I also see a tractor sputter by in the bike lane of a semi-busy suburban street.

Three: Going back to the original intention of this post. A friend of mine on Monday enlightened me about the Minneapolis/St. Paul gay communities. He told me, "lesbians live in St. Paul, and gay men live in Minneapolis". I guess this is supposed to be common knowledge, but it does make sense. I'll give you a second to think about it........total sense. Unless you're an older generation lesbian (insert obligatory ipod joke), or a hipster-uptown dyke.

Regardless, tonight Tegan and Sara are playing at the Orpheum. What does this mean? Coffee shops, bookstores and clubs, bars/clubs (for a while at least), and many other gay hangouts are going to be abandoned and forgotten for the evening. Hundreds of lesbians with gay male friends in tow will be flocking to see our favorite musical twins.


I refuse to let a river divide me and those gay boys and snobby hipsters, but I am willing to put our locale preference differences aside (among other things) in the name of good music. So everyone enjoy this wonderful day, put on T and S if you have them in your library, and if you happen to be a breeder, go out and enjoy yourself without us pesky gays getting in your way ;)

1 comment: